You've likely heard about diffusing essential oils, you may have even seen recipes on your Instagram feed or perhaps seen diffusers in the marketplace or at your local Target.
Did you know that diffusing essential oils is often the first way someone uses essential oils? It's true. It's the first place they clean up because it seems simple enough to add oils to a diffuser and harness health through the power of nature in your home. And they're right, diffusing essential oils is incredibly easy to do!
doTERRA essential oils are actually designed to be used in 3 ways: aromatically (diffusing), topically, and internally.
Why Essential Oil Quality Matters
When you use the purest essential oils in your diffuser, they change the air quality, the vibe or feeling in your home, and provide respiratory support to your body, without the toxic concerns of cheaper brands. If you're super new to essential oils, check out this eBook for beginners.
TIP: If your bottle of essential oil says that you cannot apply it topically, you probably shouldn't use it in a diffuser, as it is going into your lungs. #sorrynotsorry
Getting The Most Out Of Diffusing Essential Oils
It’s recommended that you diffuse 3x day for about 30-minutes at a time, but it's okay to go longer. I use about 10-15 drops of essential oils in my diffusers. With citrus oils, I use 15 drops because they evaporate faster than heavier essential oils like tree and root essential oils do.
Nearly every oil and blend, with the exception of doTERRA's HD Clear® and Immortelle®, can be diffused. So don't worry that you're diffusing "wrong" - you're just creating blends that resonate with you!
You will quickly find that you'll want your diffuser running most of the day and night because you'll become obsessed with the aroma's you can create and the thrill of changing the mood, ambiance, and air quality within seconds.
Fun Fact: Emily Wright, a co-founding executive at doTERRA, taught a workshop when I first started using doTERRA, where she shared that a room is clean within 15-minutes of diffusing pure essential oils.
Caring For and Cleaning Your Diffuser
Using Your Diffuser
When using your diffuser always make sure to use clean, room temperature tap water (bonus points if you use distilled water, which will keep your diffuser cleaner longer). Add 5-15 drops of essential oils depending on the size of your room, the diffuser blend, and essential oils used.
Quick Diffuser Clean
After each use of your diffuser, take a quick minute to clean it.
- Unplug your diffuser.
- Drain any water in the water take, pouring it out on the opposite side of the buttons.
- Clean the outside of the water tank and the inside with a gentle cleaner (I love to use Mrs. Meyers) using a cotton cloth or small foam brush/sponge.
- Rinse and dry.
- Take a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol and wipe the ultrasonic mist chip found in the water tank.
Diffuser Deep Clean
After a lot of use, there will be a build-up of oil in your diffuser and a deep clean will be necessary.
- Fill your diffuser halfway with warm, clean tap water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar.
- Allow the diffuser to run for 5 minutes to let the vinegar mixture to access each part of the diffuser.
- Drain the diffuser, pouring the mixture on the opposite side of your diffusers buttons.
- Use a cotton swab, dipped in vinegar, to clean any nooks and crannies.
- Rinse your diffuser and wipe dry.